Rt Hon Lord Lilley

    Written Parliamentary Question (WPQ)
    Date of Answer: 21.06.2007
    Column References: 461 c2102W
    Member Tabling Question: Lilley, Peter
    Topic: Energy Performance Certificates: EC Law
    Question: To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government which EU directive requires UK homes to have an energy performance certificate; and what its implementation date is.
    Answering Department: Dept for Communities and Local Government
    Member Answering Question: Cooper, Yvette
    Answer: The directive that requires UK homes (and indeed other buildings) to have an Energy Performance Certificate is Directive 2002/91/EC on the Energy Performance of Buildings. The implementation date was January 2006. However the directive allows an additional period of up to three years to apply fully the requirements for Energy Performance Certificates where there is a shortage of trained and/or accredited assessors.