Rt Hon Lord Lilley

    Mr Lilley: To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills how many students from other EU member states attending UK universities have student loans. [106195]

    30 Apr 2012 : Column 1257W

    Mr Willetts: Generally students from non-UK EU member states are entitled to loans for tuition fees only. These are paid to the institution where the student studies, not the student.

    Figures on the number of EU students taking out an Income Contingent Repayment (ICR) loan to pay their institution tuition fees are published each year by the Student Loans Company (SLC) in the publication “Student Support for Higher Education in England”. The latest publication is available via the following link and the relevant table is table 4B: