Rt Hon Lord Lilley

    Written Parliamentary Question (WPQ)
    470 c2061W
    Lilley, Peter
    Entry Clearances: Students
    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what checks are made on whether students whose visas are extended for further academic study attend their new courses.
    Home Office
    Byrne, Liam
    [holding answer 21 January 2008]: One of the provisions of the student rules is that a student needs to provide evidence of enrolment from an institution on the Register of Education and Training Providers before an extension may be granted.If a student fails to attend, the institution must provide details to the Border and Immigration Agency on demand.When a student applies for an extension to their leave, the application form requires the institution to provide written confirmation of the student’s attendance.Under the proposed new Points Based System, there will be a mandatory requirement on institutions to report non-attendance of their students. This will be supported by sanctions on the institutions and may include removal from the sponsorship register for failure to meet this requirement.
    House of Commons (HoC)
    Commons Chamber