Rt Hon Lord Lilley

    Written Parliamentary Question (WPQ)
    479 c1422W
    Lilley, Peter
    Housing: Construction
    To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government whether local planning authorities can meet their house building targets by proposing development of land in other counties; and what powers they have of compulsory purchase in such circumstances.
    Dept for Communities and Local Government
    Wright, Iain
    [holding answer 22 July 2008]: The regional strategy preparation process, which involves input from local authorities, sets housing numbers for districts. These take into account the need and demand for housing within housing market areas and the strategic availability of land within individual districts. Therefore these numbers should be planned for by individual districts but we encourage joint working between districts in doing this.The Local Government Act 1972 gives local authorities a qualified right to purchase land compulsorily outside their areas. Whether this is possible in any given case will depend on the specific enabling power to be used.
    House of Commons (HoC)
    Commons Chamber